SQL*LOADER - multiple input files??

From: <epid_at_vms.cis.pitt.edu>
Date: 1996/10/02

I have a question regarding SQL*Loader as far as a systematic way to load multiple files from a given directory. I am aware that in a .CTL you can specify mutiple INFILE lines providing you know in advance what the input filenames are.

But in our situation, we will have a set directory where on a regular schedule, multiple input files will be placed. The filenames will vary according to the date they were created but we receive multiple days worth of files sveral times a month.

For instance if we had tables T1 and T2, the ASCII files we could receive would be T1100296.DAT, T2100296.DAT etc. Also we receive many at once so they don't necessarily correspond to the current date. For instance on 10/2/96, file T1092696.DAT, T1092796.DAT could also be placed in that \data directory and also need appended into the ORACLE tables.

So has anyone out there come up with a simple solution to grabbing all files for a given table from a given directory specification? Meaning INFILE "\data\T1*.dat" does not work syntactically.

Do I have to resort to a pre-compiler of some sort and create the .CTL for the append on the fly?

                                                Thanks!

  1. Scott