Subject: Block Fragementation

From: Stephen Grant IBM <sgrant_at_torvm3.vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/10/02

Does anyone know of a way to detect and then perform block level degragmentation of a table without a traditional re-org? The Server Admin Guide indicates that "if the conditions are right", that Oracle is supposed to do this at INSERT time automatically, but in our system, we are not seeing this happen. Presumably, our system is sufficiently busy that Oracle deems that the block reorg should not take place.

Based on the documentation, it would appear Oracle is capable of doing this. Is there a way to force the issue? Received on Wed Oct 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message