Re: Solaris /etc/system and Oracle

From: M.Rapier <M.Rapier_at_shef.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/10/02

In article <52t7ki$kaq_at_newsserver.rrzn.uni-hannover.de>, and_at_sun1.mim.uni-hannover.de says...

>Andrew Lee (asl00_at_eng.amdahl.com) wrote:
>: I'm trying to size the /etc/system shared memory settings on a Sparc20
>: running oracle. Is there a FAQ or something on correctly sizing shared
>: memory and semaphore settings? This is running on Solaris 2.4. Thanks.
>
>This procedure is described very well in Oracle's manuals.
>See "Oracle7(tm) Installation Guide for Sun SPARC Solaris 2.x".

Yes, the main thing to watch is that you allocate enough semaphores for all your process and make sure that SHMMAX can accomodate your SGA.

We found that for a non-MTS Oracle, each portion of the SGA (shared pool, log buffer etc.) could be loaded into a seperate shared memory segment, but for MTS, the entire SGA had to fit into a single segment.

This didn't seem to be documented anywhere, or maybe we've done something wrong.

Cheers.
Martin. Received on Wed Oct 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message