Re: HELP: SERVER MANAGER CANNOT CONNECT

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/10/02

something further to consider wrote:

>Besides checking the above,
>you might try the Oracle TNSPING facility
>to double check your connect and tnsnames file parameters. Also we
>ran into a problem (on the client - windows 3.1) using SQL*NET
>2.3.2.1.3 where if we put the host name (ie. HOST=myserver) in the
>HOST= parameter of the tnsnames file, the host name (service) 'could
>not be resolved'. When we put in the IP address (ie.
>HOST=123.345.56.678) in the HOST= parameter, the service was found.
>
>This was Oracle support's 'solution' to our problem. Not very pretty
>but it did work. You might want to give it a try.

What you're describing sounds more like a tcp/ip configuration problem, not an Oracle SQL*Net problem.

Make sure that myserver (not he dotted address but the name) can be resolved to an address by the tcp/ip stack. Try pinging it.

You probably need to add it to a hosts file somewhere, or configure your DNS server to recognize it.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!