Info needed on cursor control

From: Jens Hohmann <hohmajbt_at_rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Date: 1996/10/01

Hello,

to increase the performance of our Oracle based applications, we are looking for a cursor control via SQL net, thus realising a kind of data control.

This control method should be able to
- control the cursor lifetime

  • move the cursor to any row of the query result

It should not
- transfer data over the net when moving the cursor

  • interfere with the current capabilities of the cursor

Our problem:

Under SQL a statement generally yields a table of unknown size. If you want to query the middle row of a result table, you have to transfer the whole table to the client. Depending on the connection speed, this can take a long time.

If it is possible to conserve the result table and arbitrarily place the cursor, this should give a great performance boost.

Our environment is as follows:
- Oracle server 7.1 under Solaris, AIX, and NetWare

  • Clients under Windows 3.1x with SQLNet and Orowin 7
  • Borland C++ 4.5 or Microsoft C++ 1.52

Does anyone know of a possible solution?

If possible, please email your answer to

   <Jens.Hohmann_at_rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, as i can read this group only occasionaly.

Thanks!

--
Dr. Jens Hohmann <Jens.Hohmann_at_rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>