Re: DBA? - copying users to another instance - DBA?

From: Charles Jardine <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/10/01

Harry Lime wrote:

> I need to copy several users from one instances to another.
> I have written a sql script to create the create user syntax;
> however, I had to hard code the same password on each create
> statement. Is there a way to get the encoded password in the
> create syntax? (these are just users with no objects to be moved).
> I have heard of "become user", will this help?

You can use the syntax:

ALTER USER scott IDENTIFIED BY VALUES '0123456789ABCDEF';

replacing 0123456789ABCDEF by the 16 hexadecimal digits of the encrypted password from the PASSWORD column of DBA_USERS. This is how exp/imp does it. Received on Tue Oct 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message