Re: Exporting tables to external ASCII files

From: Beverley Williams <bev_at_starfleet.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1996/09/30

Ed DeNaro <edenaro_at_fourthtier.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a way to export data from Oracle 7.1 to external
>ASCII files? SQL*Loader is able to import but not export and
>the Export utilitiy only creates Oracle dump files. I understand there
>is a new PL/SQL proc in Oracle 7.3 to write to files on the operating
>system but nothing similiar in 7.1. Just wanted to find out how others
>have accomplished this task in versions prior to 7.3.

Ed,

If you wanted to run it from a client you could use Reports and write the data to a file, or in Forms 4.5 there is a utlility called TEXT_IO which allows you to open,close and write to files.The facility in 7.3 is UTL_FILE which is the server equivalent to TEXT_IO.

Hope this info is of use,

--
Bev Williams,
Contractor,