Using Microsoft Access as a front-end to Oracle 7.x...

From: David Vazquez <dvazquez_at_msn.com>
Date: 1996/09/30

I'm migrating the data portion of an Access application to Oracle 7. The reasoning is that the performance will be better. However, this performance increase remains to be seen.

I know that utilizing pass-through queries for reports will help, but I've yet to find a case where a pass-through query to Oracle beats the corresponding query to Access.

I guess what I really need are suggestions, experiences, etc. There are so many factors (Access, ODBC, Oracle), I'm not sure where to start looking when things run slow. A question that looms in my mind too is if Oracle will really help when it's probably a slow network that's making the Access app so slow?

Would switching to VB, Delphi, PowerBuilder, or C++ help performance?  I'm reluctant to put everybody through C++ because whatever performance increase you get is probably dwarfed by the effort that it took you to get it. I also keep envisioning this C++ app that's spinning its wheels waiting for a response from a database server (i. e. the database and network are the real bottlenecks, not the language that's used). Any comments?

  Thanks for any hints: :)
  -David Vazquez "dvazquez_at_msn.com" Received on Mon Sep 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message