Re: Personal Oracle on notebooks

From: rick forrest <rickfor_at_scsn.net>
Date: 1996/09/30

calio <calie_at_kiabi.com> wrote in article <52ghbd$6uk_at_news.canscape.com>...
> hi,
>
> we have developped an application with Forms4.5 /SqlNet / Oracle 7. Now
our customer want to use a notebook in a not connected way. One solution could use a Personal Oracle on Windows95. But, our full database is around 500M... So, my question:

> 1/is anybody use Personal Oracle on notebooks, and what is the hardware
configuration
we've done it on 75mhz Pentium, 24meg ram Dell.

> 2/Does anyone have an idea for not installing Personal Oracle and using a
mechanism for taking folder, working on datasheet and loading the database in connected mode later.

  1. move your enterprise database to the notebook using export/import.
  2. Alter or Drop your sequences so that they Start at <very high number> on the notebook. This is so new rows don't collide with rows on the enterprise.
  3. set up an icon on the notebook to run a sqlplus script (when connected) that does a

copy from -
user/passwd_at_notebookdb -
to -
user/passwd_at_enterprisedb -
insert -
tablename -
using select * from tablename;
commit;

> Many Thanks Christophe AliƩ- France

there are other steps, like cleaning/dropping the table before doing the copy from, and other housekeeping. This should get you started. Drop me a line if you need more info.

rick Received on Mon Sep 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message