Re: Personal Oracle 7 and PO7 lite capabilities

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/09/30

Mark Schaefer wrote:

> I'm currently writing Pro*C for Oracle Server 7.3 at work, and was
> thinking of setting up a database for someone who owns an indoor soccer
> facility - to keep stats on players, league stats, etc.
>
> What I was wondering was what exactly PO7 came with in terms of
> programming. Would I be able to develop a Pro*C application easily, or
> a form? I think OCI comes free with Server 7, but I think Pro*C is
> extra$$$.
>
> Any ideas on a good solution, or maybe a cheaper solution?
>
> Thanks for any info...
>
> BTW: I checked out the Oracle WWW site, and couldn't find what came with
> it, except that I could "develop C++ applications" -- whatever that
> means.
>
> --
> Mark Schaefer

The wonderful thing about tiggers is .... they're the same everywhere.

PO7 (at least the copy I have - a year old) does indeed come with OCI and Pro*C.

However, you might consider an alternate solution for the front end. The app you describe sounds like mainly a front-end type job - not much intensive processing. Pro*C shines for processing (stats analysis) but tends to be klutzy for front-end. Consider stuff like VB, Delphi, etc. or maybe a 'PC oriented' database (Xbase compatible or Access) instead. These tend to be a lot lighter and easier to work with.

/Hans Received on Mon Sep 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message