Re: Pb searching a word in a string

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1996/09/30

Well, you could try

select text from some_table
where nvl (substr (text, instr (text, :word) + length (:word), 1), '.')

      in ('.', ',', ':', ';') ;

pdemeyer_at_tmphard.univ-lr.fr wrote:
: Hi there!

: Here is the problem:
: Using Oracle 7, what is the trick to find a word in a string, but only THIS
: word. An example would be better :

: My fields are : "i flunked my exam" and "this is an example"
: If i want to find fields which contain the word 'exam', with the simple syntax
: %exam%, it will find the 2 fields, but I don't want the second one here.

: The difficulty here is to find the trick which works in every case,
: even if the searched word is at the beginning or at the end of the string,
: thinking that we could have other word separators than the space character
: (for example a comma character, the ':' character ...) and without using AND
: or OR clause in the select request (cauz the database is really huge, and I
: must optimize everywhere).

: Any help would be appreciated (even if you tell me that we can't do this).
: Thanx a lot

: Patrice
: pdemeyer_at_cri.univ-lr.fr

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you