Re: Help! tables in oracle...

From: Steve Long <answers_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/29

Use private synonyms. Create the script to create the synonym and then run it under each user's schema. For the privileges, use ROLES and grant the roles to each user a appropriate.

Alternatively, fully qualified object names can be used (OWNER.OBJECT_NAME) in the SQL.

Or you can (but I don't recommend it) create a public synonym. If you do use public synonyms, be careful to select a unique application prefix for ALL objects in that schema. For example, if you know there will be one and only one marketing database (yeah, right!), you could create public synonyms as MARKETING_<object_name>. Avoid the temptation to use abbreviations.

Have fun!

Steve Long
IT Services, Inc.
804-262-6332