Re: Raw partitions on HPUX 10 and Oracle 7.3.2

From: Bolen Coogler <bcoogler_at_dscga.com>
Date: 1996/09/28

Marvin Suther <marvin_suther_at_jhuapl.edu> wrote:

>We are in the process of setting up Oracle 7.3.2 on an HP 9000 Model 821
>running HP-UX 10.2. We are trying to figure out any
>advantages/disadvantages as to the use of raw partitions. Are there any
>whitepapers that deal with this? Any experineces, either good or bad? You
>can email me at marvin_suther_at_jhuapl.edu.

>Thanks.

I have seen an aging white paper that basicly slams the use of raw partitions, except when you can demonstrate your database is I/O bound. I disagree with it. I think most of its arguments against raw partitions are outdated. It was written without consideration of LVM, or backup products that make backing up a raw logical volume as easy as backing up a file system. Plus, if you first build your database using filesystems, think how much more trouble it will be to later convert a production database to raw LV's, than to build it raw in the first place. Why wait until you ARE I/O bound just to prove a point?

Advantages:

  1. Faster I/O performance (although some argue the improvement is marginal).
  2. You can implement dbwr async I/O (the asyncdsk kernel driver).
  3. Some Oracle options (Parallel Server) require raw.

To me, the biggest advantage is #2 above. Sure, you can run multiple dbwr's, but using real async I/O is more efficient than simulating it.

Disadvantages:

  1. Using raw logical volumes does require close cooperation from your system administrator. Therefore, you will probably need to do a little more up front planning (not a bad thing, IMHO). In my case, I began life in the UNIX world as a UNIX system administrator before I became an Oracle DBA. I've got root access whenever I need it. So, as long as I don't get into an argument with myself.... :-)

I have built all of our databases on HP systems exclusively using raw partitions via LVM (except for the control files and init<sid>.ora of course!). We've had no trouble at all going "raw". LVM eliminates the raw partition management headaches.

  2. BEFORE you go raw, you will definitely need a good backup product (like Omniback) that can backup raw LV's. Otherwise, the only native UNIX method of copying a raw partition is "dd". You do NOT want to use dd to backup your database.

Other thoughts on raw logical volumes....

On systems running HPUX 10.xx, I create, where possible, volume groups with 8 drives each across as many controllers as possible (8 would be ideal). Then I create the logical volumes striped across all 8 devices. Note that the order in which you name your devices in the vgcreate command has a direct impact on logical volume striping. Part of that planning in advance.

You will need to change the ownership of the character devices names to oracle. After I create all the LV's, I can change ownership with a single command, e.g. # chown oracle:dba /dev/vgora*/rdemo_*

The maximum size you can define your datafile is the LV size minus 1 db_block. For example, if you use 8K db block size, and you create the demo_system01 LV at 64M, then (64*1024-8 = 65528). Thus:   create database demo

     datafile '/dev/vgora01/rdemo_system01' size 65528k reuse;

---
Bolen Coogler
DBA, BellSouth Information Systems