Re: Raid Configurations and Oracle

From: joe minnich <jminnich_at_interramp.com>
Date: 1996/09/27

We have a fairly large oracle database 15G on raid5, NCR 3000. We can back it up in one hour utilizing reel backup/librarian software and 1 tape drive / 6 concurrent streams.

Our tape drives are stk 9490 timberlines. They move very quickly. We get approx. 5M/sec utilizing streaming. Use of Raid 1 would definitely improve reading time. I think we can do much better with some tuning. If we were to use 2-3 drives we could backup 15G in approx 10-15 minutes. We will get around to tuning - nice luxury to have.

The stk silo's are the only real industry strength backup solutions on the market. If you are serious about backups I highly suggest getting one.

Problem with conventional unix backup methods like dd, etc it that they do not support streaming. Streaming is what really improves performance. Heck our tape drives can write fast than disks can transfer data.

Albert W. Dorrington wrote:

> In article <DyB1w2.K8_at_avenger.daytonoh.ncr.com>, David Jordan <David.T.Jordan_at_DallasTX.ncr.com> writes:
> |>
> |> ==========mthomas_at_digital.net, 9/23/96==========
 <snip>

--

Thanks,