Re: Visual Query tool for WWW

From: Daniel Veditz <dveditz_at_netscape.com>
Date: 1996/09/27

Alok C. Nigam wrote:

> Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
>
> I am looking for a visual query tool accessible from a web browser.
> This tool must support the contruction of ad hoc queries in a relatively
> simple manner.

Check out Borland's IntraBuilder, trial copy available on their Web page at http://www.borland.com

You can use a visual form designer to lay out a form (or use their "expert"), and their expert will even put on a Query button if you want which returns a blank form when pressed where users can type in their (simple) selections. If you wanted more complex queries (anything needing "OR" logic) you'd have to lay out your own query form, but that wouldn't be too hard either.

The underlying files are JavaScript source files which you could modify directly if you want, but for most things it's simpler to just stick with the designers. When run, forms and reports are converted automatically to HTML and sent to the browser.

IntraBuilder talks directly to Netscape's FastTrack server (via NSAPI) or Microsoft's IIS (via ISAPI), or via CGI to other servers--no programming required.

-Dan Veditz
(my views are my own) Received on Fri Sep 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message