Re: Converting MS Access to Oracle

From: SuperSurfer <jvince19_at_mail.idt.net>
Date: 1996/09/27

dvazquez_at_msn.com (David Vazquez) wrote:

>Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

>>Hi.
>>I know i have read this somewhere here but i cant seem to find it again.
>>Someone knew about an Oracle utility to convert Acces Tables/Queris into
>>Oracle Queries/Tables
>>
>>All help apreciated
>>
>>HAO

>I'd love this information as well. Although the process is fairly
>simple (it took me about 4 hours to write a chunk of Access BASIC
>that takes table and relationship definitions in Access and creates a
>script that can be run in SQL*Plus to create the Oracle versions of
>the tables), I'd like to know of any tried and tested utilities that
>do this already. Of particular interest is a utility that also
>handles the creation of triggers and sequences for Counter fields and
>that also takes an MS Access Validation rule and turns it into an
>appropriate Oracle check constraint.

>I've attempted to use PowerSoft's Star Designer to do the conversion,
>but it adds more work than is necessary. For instance, if I reverse
>engineer the Access table into it, relatinships are not reverse
>engineered. Also, when I switch the database type from Access to
>Oracle, Star-Designer's choice of Oracle data types leaves alot to be
>desired.

> Thanks,
> -David Vazquez "dvazquez_at_msn.com"

Check out the Oracle Developer's Resource. I forget the URL, but you can get at it through the Oracle Home Page. They've got some nifty scripts for data transport. Includes FoxPro, Access, DB4, and several others. I've used them for FoxPro and Access and they work well.
If you can't find them, e-mail me and I will either post them or e-mail them to you directly.

Jonathan Vincenzo
Systems Analyst/DBA
jvince19_at_mail.idt.net Received on Fri Sep 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message