Re: [Q] Oracle and SQL

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/09/26

In article <R.5221m2$jr5_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com> surman_at_dlsun338.us.oracle.com (Scott Urman) writes:
>Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

>|> On the contrary, I've seen entire (complicated) production applications written
>|> without SQL. You just need some substitute front end. However, I would
>|> recommend that any student contemplating learning a relational db, learn
>|> SQL and the related theory.
>
>Sure, but that substitute front end was creating the SQL statements and sending
>them to the databae for you. You were just insulated from actually writing them
>yourself (which may or may not be a good idea).

That is far different than saying Oracle is useless without SQL. It may be a good idea if you are writing database independent code. In that case SQL is a lowest common denominator solution (for example every vendor "does" outer joins differently), which would be even more difficult. All the useful stuff is done by extentions to SQL. Applications programmers _should_ be insulated from such, uh, features.