Re: Want to be a DBA? Be careful what you ask for.....

From: Gary Eckhardt <gary_eckhardt_at_realworld.com>
Date: 1996/09/24

Neil Greene wrote:

> I keep telling those I work with, the DBA is just the person that gets
> to wait arond the office late at night waiting for Oracle to call back
> on a TAR while everyone else is at home with their family or out with
> their friends. All in hopes that we will have that system back up and
> running without anyone knowing we ran into some bug Oracle knew about
> but you didn't because the last time you ran the Year end closing
> reports was last year.

I've often referred to myself as a "Data Janitor". You know, "ATTENTION! BIT SPILL ON ISLE 7.1.6! WE NEED A MOP!". Here comes Gary with his toolbox and mop bucket to clean it up.

But really. I think the reason why I like being a DBA is because you really need to have many skill sets, involving not only Oracle but System administration, networking, etc to get the "big picture" on your Oracle environment and to maintain it. I'm a software person by education, but I enjoy doing system administration and messing with hardware and networks, so I get the best of all worlds.

Plus, you get to play "god".

"What that? You want the database up this weekend so you can get  work done that you should have been working on this week but you  haven't because you've been playing 'Quake' over the corporate  lan with your friend in accounting?......HMMMMM....'NO'"

Gary Eckhardt              |   "in this day & age...music performed by
Database Consultants, Inc. |    humans...hum!?"  --wilde silas tomkyn
dcigary_at_txdirect.net       |                R,DW,HAHB!
gary_eckhardt_at_realworld.com| R^3 = "Real World. Real Smart. Real Quick."
(210)344-6566 | http://www.realworld.com/ Received on Tue Sep 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message