Des/Dev 2000 queries

From: Cheryl Riley <101520.1306_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1996/09/24

We're currently migrating a forms 3 system to des/dev 2000, and I have some queries I'd appreciate some help with.

  1. Reading flat files - the only way I can find of doing this with the new toolset (apart from SQL*Loader) is by using the TEXT IO procedures built into Forms 4.5. Is there any way of reading files from Reports 2.5 or PL/SQL? Given that we're running in a client/server configuration, what's the best way of accessing a flat file on the server machine (unix) from the client?
  2. Code version control - what's the best product for handling Dev 2000 code; we've been using SCCS in the past, but couldn't do so with Reportwriter as there was always a problem with the long record lengths. Is this still the case? We haven't really decided yet whether the code will be best stored on the PC network or the server (Unix) box, so would be interested in hearing your views on the PCVS software also.
  3. I can't find any information on how the Dev 2000 software interfaces with the Windows printing mechanisms, ie if the user allocates a different printer to his local port, how will Reports 2.5 printing cope with this?

Would appreciate any help you can give.

Cheryl Received on Tue Sep 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message