Re: Cascade Update

From: <Steve_Kilbane_at_cegelecproj.co.uk>
Date: 1996/09/23

Barrie Ashmore <comac_at_maintenance.net> wrote:

> I'm working on Oracle V7 and need help on cascade update.
>
> Does anyone know how cascade update works.

Thomas Kyte pointed out the Tech Center stuff. I had a look at it, but it had some restrictions that the Access system I was trying to port violated (sigh!). I've been working on the example code given in Oracle Magazine Interactive, on June 10, 1996 - I don't have the URL handy, but a search for "Preventing Mutating Tables Using Oracle Triggers" should find it. You *might* find that code useful. I can't guarantee this, because I'm still partway through my implementation. Since I've got about 24 cascaded update tables to deal with, plus, numerous cascaded deletes, foreign keys, unique constraints on non-primary keys, etc. I'm using a perl script to generate the necessary trigger code. So far, it doesn't work, and I suspect that once complete, it won't be redistributable due to contract limitations, but have a look at the article anyway.

steve Received on Mon Sep 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message