ORA-00376 File cannot be read at this time (system tablespace datafile _at_ shutdown)

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/09/22

Hello all;

I encountered the following scary situation yesterday after recovering my production database after a system crash corrupted one of my datafiles.

Our digital Unix system crashed yesterday due to advanced file system errors. When we got it back up, I started our production database and watched it successfully do crash revovery and come up OK. Based on past experiences with this (sarcasm mode=on) truely robust (sarcasm mode=off) environment consisting of Digital unix 3.2d and Oracle 7.4 we proceeded to do a full database export which detected a corruption in one table. We've been through this twice before, that's why we do the full export. Of course the first time this happened we were of the belief that the operating system and oracle could handle these types of things, but that led us stright in to a 40+ continous hour recovery in which we did incomplete (no resetlogs) followed by complete revovery to completely recover our database (if you're interested in details, email me). Anyway, we restored the affected datafile from our most recent backup and recovered it up until current via the "recover datafile" command. The database came up just fine, and we re-exported the corrupted table to ensure that it was indeed ok, and it was.

The scary situation I mentioned above (as if the curruption wasn't scary enough) was that a few times during this sequence of events we encountered the following errors when *shutting the database down*:

	ORA-00604 Error occurred at recursive SQL level 2
	ORA-00376 File 1 cannot be read at this time
	ORA-01110 Data file 1: our *system* tablespace datafile name here!!!

The 00376 message states that the most likely cause of this is that the file is offline. This is our SYSTEM tablespace datafile, the database was just up and open, and this happened when we shut it down. We started it right back up and looked at v$datafile etc etc and everything looked OK with that datafile, not to mention that the database was up and open! Eventually we did a shutdown immediate followed by a startup followed by shutdown normal and the errors disappeared.

I'm going to call this in to Oracle tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone here had seen anything like this?

TIA

--

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer III

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of
 choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins