Re: Should my extents be bigger?

From: Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant <sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh>
Date: 1996/09/21

Jacques Raymond Kilchoer wrote:

> Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.3.2.0 - Production Release
> VAX OpenVMS V6.1-1H2
>
> I have a tablespace called TEMP with an initial_extent = 256,000
> a next_extent = 1,048,576
> a min_extents = 2
> a max_extents = 121
> (see below)
>
> The data file for the TEMP table has 524,288,000 bytes
> (see below)
>
> It seems to me that since tablespace TEMP has a max_extents of 121, it
> can use up
> at most 1 * 256,000 (initial_extent) + 120 * 1,048,576 (next_extent)
> = 256,000 + 125,829,120 = 126,085,120
>
> Since 126,085,120 is less than 524,288,000 I would think that the
> datafile for the
> tablespace never gets used to its full capacity.
>
> Is my understanding correct?
> If so, what should I do? Increate the next_extent size or the
> max_extents?

It all depends on how many simultaneous demands you make on the TEMP data file. If you have only one user at a time executing only one transaction at a time then you may be wasting space in TEMP, but if you have several simultaneous users they might each be using space in the TEMP tablespace. If their demands are small you might still be wasting space, but the real point of these parameters is to define the maximum case.

If you're not getting errors you don't have to fix it.

Marek Received on Sat Sep 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message