Re: Talking to Oracle from Linux?

From: Jacek Dobosz <jdob_at_ping.at>
Date: 1996/09/19

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 22:52:14 -0500, Ken Parker <kep_at_avalon.net> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Anyone know of an easy way (or any way for that matter...) to get an app
>to talk to Oracle from Linux? We have a data acquisiton device that
>*must* exist on linux (that's where the drivers exist) and would like to
>dump the info into an Oracle Database. Currently, we can e-mail the
>file as an attachment and have a c++ program running on the database
>server (solaris) pick the mail message apart but this is ugly as h*ll.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions!
>
>Ken Parker
>kep_at_avalon.net

I see two solutions for this problem

  1. Try to get running SQL*Net and PRO*C from SCO-Unix distribution of ORACLE. Its not easy but it works. I've done it some time ego for 2.0 kernel and 7.1.3 ORACLE. This enables you to write a program or module in C which can talk to the database somewhere on the net.
  2. If its not possible to use SQL*Net and PRO*C on Linux, I will suggest to write in PRO*C a proxy server which can be run as daemon on solaris an talk through the known socket port with your acquisition program on linux.

hope this helps

jacek Received on Thu Sep 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message