Re: A few problems with Oracle7

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/09/18

In article <51cb72$92i_at_hptemp1.cc.umr.edu> pjbell_at_cs.umr.edu (Paula Bell) writes:
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: A few problems installing Oracle7
>
>Hi everyone.
>
>I was finishing up an installation of Oracle7 on a Sun SPARC running
>Solaris, and ran into a few problems. Any advice, no matter how obvious
>it may seem, is appreciated. :)
>
>1) It's a fair question. I am logged on as root when I try to run the
>root.sh script. Any more ideas?
>
>>Paula Bell wrote:
>>> While installing Oracle7 on our Sun SPARC, I ran into a problem with the
>>> root.sh script. I get the message "Please raise the ORACLE owner's ulimit
>>> as per the IUG."

If you do a man -k ulimit, then read the manual, together with the message from oracle, it appears to be telling you that you have limited the oracle owners file size write capabilities. Log in as the oracle owner, then type in ulimit. It will give a number (which I think is in 512 byte blocks), which is the biggest file that user can write. I would guess something in root.sh is checking that. (I don't have access to a sparc just now, although the root.sh on hp-ux has a couple of solaris references??? it doesn't check ulimit). You must be superuser to change it.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>