Re: Help! Emergency! ODBC

From: John M. Abate <jmabate_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/18

Shane Murray wrote:

> Ahh. I wanted to defrag the database, so I did a full export,
> recreated the database with a create database command, then ran
> catalog.sql and catproc.sql, remade my tablesapces, and made a temp
> rollback seg. Then I imported the full file back. Everthing seems
> cool, BUT...
> With MSAccess2.0 (16-bit), I can no longer Attach tables (or import).
> I can to another database, however. I can ping and tnsping to the
> database in question. I can also use the ODBC (16-bit) test program
> to connect to the database in question, I can use this test program
> to selec all tables or even select from a certain table. I CAN'T
> DO AN ATTACH, though! I can logon and get a list of tables, but as soon
> as I select a table and hit attach, the hourglass comes up and doesn't go
> away. On the server I can see the client session and even kill it.
> The things I though of are this: I did not import the original sys
> tables, rather I created them fresh with the catalog.sql script. Could
> there be something in those original sys tables that needs to be there now?
> Or another idea... I noticed on the sys tables, there were no statistics
> gathered. Could it be that the attach comand from access is performing
> som sql to bring back the description of the table, and full table scans
> are being performed on the sys tables?????

> --
> -- Shane Murray (UNIX)
>
> *** Make sure to reply to ***
> *** smurray_at_albion.bah.com ***Sound like one of two things to me.....

If you had synonyms for the tables, when you dropped them you lost the synonym for it. The other problem that comes to mind is in Access. I found out that if you have too many add-ins in access it will not open the odbc client correctly. Remove some of the add-ins in access and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

John Received on Wed Sep 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message