Re: Multiple Instances

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/09/18

In article <3239EBD0.7A2D_at_aslam.ddms.sc.ti.com> Aftikhar Aslam <aslam_at_aslam.ddms.sc.ti.com> writes:
>Hi All,
>
>I am trying to get two databases to run on the same server.
>The first database is my actual production database. The second
>database I have created is for the 'backup catalog', as required
>by the Enterprise Backup Utility. When I try to run the second
>instance I get a error saying Oracle is already running.
>I've looked through the documentation - and there's hardly any mention
>of how to have multiple instances running.
>Is there anybody who has done this or can point me in the right
>direction in terms of manuals etc. which show you how u can have two
>diff. databases running on the same server.
>
>Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks & Regards
>AA

It could help to know which type of machine, to give specific help. The key is to keep your instance identifiers (ORA_SID and ORA_INSTANCE or ORACLE_SID) straight, and there may also be some OS-specific tuning to be done. You may have some file such as /etc/oratab that controls which instances gets started by a command such as dbstart, which file you edit in a "Y" or "N" for each instance. On VMS, you specifically state the path to the ORA_INSTANCE directory, and a file which determines the startup type (ie, exclusive or dba), so the ORA_INSTANCE and other logicals can be set correctly.

It also depends on whether you are using one $ORACLE_HOME or keeping the instances completely separate.

>~ Aftikhar 'AA' Aslam MSGID : taft_at_msg.ti.com ~
>~ Test & Yield Enhancement Systems Group ~
>~ Texas Instruments Inc. Email : aslam_at_aslam.ddms.sc.ti.com ~
>~ PO Box 655303, M/S 8366 ~
>~ Dallas, Texas ~
>~ Phone (214) 997-2575
>~

Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>
%DCL-W-SOFTONEDGEDONTPUSH, Software On Edge - Don't Push.            \ V /
panic: ifree: freeing free inodes...                                   O