Re: TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Wayne Linton <lintonw_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/09/18

Shah Vijay wrote:

> Is there a way to put a common TNSNAMES.ORA file on NT server that each
> client may read, as opposed to having a local copy for each client in
> the ORANT(ORAWIN)\NETWORK\ADMIN directory. The reason for this is that
> each time a new instance is created, that the client will access, the
> TNSNAMES.ORA has to be updated. The idea is to avoid updation of this
> file on each client (potentially a large no of).
>
> Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
>
> avisha_at_ix.netcom.com

I am not familiar with the workings of an NT server, but with a Novel Lan with Windows 3.1 users, you can put an ORACLE.INI file on the client and have the TNSNAMES.ORA on the ORACLE_HOME directory. If you don't like to put it there, you can specify the TNS_ADMIN parameter in the ORACLE.INI and have the TNSNAMES.ORA reside somewhere else.

Wayne Linton Received on Wed Sep 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message