Re: [Q] Oracle and SQL

From: Jason Salem <jasonds_at_computerland.net>
Date: 1996/09/17

joelga_at_rossinc.com (Joel Garry) wrote:

>On the contrary, I've seen entire (complicated) production applications written
>without SQL. You just need some substitute front end. However, I would
>recommend that any student contemplating learning a relational db, learn
>SQL and the related theory.

How did they get to the database? If there's another way to get data in and out of Oracle than using SQL statements, even if I only have 5 lines in a 100,000 line C program that are really SQL statements, then I haven't seen it. Yes, you can use another language as your main tool, but SQL is the "API" to Oracle as it were.

Jason Salem
Database Administrator
DATASTORM Technologies Inc/Quarterdeck Communications Division Received on Tue Sep 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message