Re: Hide Password in SQL Plus

From: Don Libes <libes_at_nist.gov>
Date: 1996/09/17

In article <3238C8B9.7537_at_wwa.com> Alexander Lyakhovetsky <alexl_at_wwa.com> writes:

   We are using sqlplus in shell scripts. In order to connect to a    database, we have to pass connect string but password becomes visibale    if you run ps command. Is there any way to hide password from ps    command?

   Here is a couple of lines from our script.

   CONNECT=dbid/password
   sqlplus $CONNECT

For a nice paper on ways to effectively hide passwords, read:

Libes, D., "Handling Passwords with Security and Reliability in Background Processes", Proceedings of the Eighth USENIX System Administration Conference (LISA VIII), pp. 57-64, San Diego, CA, September 19-23, 1994.

http://www.cme.nist.gov/msid/pubs/libes94d.ps

Don Received on Tue Sep 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message