Re: TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Tim Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/09/17

Shah Vijay wrote:

> Is there a way to put a common TNSNAMES.ORA file on NT server that each
> client may read, as opposed to having a local copy for each client in
> the ORANT(ORAWIN)\NETWORK\ADMIN directory. The reason for this is that
> each time a new instance is created, that the client will access, the
> TNSNAMES.ORA has to be updated. The idea is to avoid updation of this
> file on each client (potentially a large no of).
>
> Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
>
> avisha_at_ix.netcom.com

The best thing to do is to use Oracle Names. Oracle Names is a naming service for SQL*Net. Check out the Understanding SQL*Net manual or the Oracle 7 Distributed Data Volume I book for more info.

Tim

|Timothy E. Taylor				Oracle Government       |
|Staff Sales Consultant				3 Bethesda Metro Center |
|Internet:	ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com		Suite 1400              |
|Office:	301-907-2395			Bethesda, MD 20814      |
|Fax:		301-657-0037                                            |
| 	They teach you to fix what needs to be broke (P.W., 1993)	|