Re: [Q] Oracle and SQL

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/09/16

In article <323655fd.150069594_at_news.concentric.net> jljoslin_at_cris.com (J L Joslin) writes:
>On 10 Sep 1996 18:23:02 GMT, chwu_at_unlgrad1.unl.edu (McGyver) wrote:
>
>>What's the difference between Oracle and SQL?
>>
>>--
>>

>Oracle is a database engine (Relational DataBase Management System or
>RDBMS). SQL is an ancronym for Structured Query Language. It is the
>standard interface language for 99% of all relational databases.
>Oracle without SQL is like a day without sunshine. Pretty useless.
>
>Jim Joslin

On the contrary, I've seen entire (complicated) production applications written without SQL. You just need some substitute front end. However, I would recommend that any student contemplating learning a relational db, learn SQL and the related theory.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>