Re: Oracle performance on Sun machines

From: J L Joslin <jljoslin_at_cris.com>
Date: 1996/09/14

On Sat, 14 Sep 96 14:41:20 GMT, firstname.lastname_at_pixie.co.za (Firstname Lastname) wrote:

>I am trying to determine what Sun machine to buy for user as an Oracle
>server. I would like to run 5 instances of Oracle on one machine. Does
>anyone have any idea what hardware configuration would be suitable? Is
>there some sort of guide that I can use to start with?
>
>Thanks
>
>Malcolm
>
>malcolm.hart_at_pixie.co.za

If you are serious about using Sun, contact your Sun sales office locally. They generally have a good idea as to what you will need. Sun has participated in a number of benchmarks and can tell you what machines can make a go of it for you. Or ask your Oracle Sales rep to help you.

As to what type of machine, it depends upon what your instances will be used for (type of queries), and how many users you will have.

I would look at the new Enterprise Servers (64-bit). Multiple CPUs would not be a bad idea. Many, many disk drives would be required so the instances do not thrash against each other. How big will your instances be?

Jim Joslin Received on Sat Sep 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message