Re: Lousy SQL*Net2 connection performance

From: Sybrand Bakker <Sybrand.Bakker_at_bentley.nl>
Date: 1996/09/14

David,

I'm in the same situation. By doing an admin trace on sqlnet however I have found out that Sqlnet first tries to connect to all kinds of names servers, before it starts using your tnsnames.ora. Evidently they expect you to setup Oracle names instead of tnsnames. All protocols and all preferred names servers are tested whether you disable the dynamic discovery option or not.
When you use the sqlnet.ora editor applet provided in the client software to change the sqlnet.ora you can resolve this. There is a names server tab. This will you give the choice which names mechanism to use. If you force it by using this tab to use tnsnames only, the problem almost disappears. The Sqlnet.ora editor is only provided in the 16 bit windows client and in the NT client. As far as I know it is not in the Win95 client.

Hope this helps,

Sybrand Bakker <sybrand.bakker_at_bentley.nl>

David J. McElroy <mcel9531_at_hgc.edu> wrote in article <3238A530.4C10_at_hgc.edu>...
> My SQL*Net2 connection times are very slow.
>
> SQL*Net2 (client = v2.3) connections from a Windows PC to any of my
> local Oracle servers takes 12 - 15 seconds to complete. This is
> unacceptably long. Using SQL*Net1, these connections take less than 3
> seconds. Once I'm connected, things hum along just fine.

[stuff snipped]