Re: Renaming ORACLE_HOME directory. Any problems?

From: J L Joslin <jljoslin_at_cris.com>
Date: 1996/09/13

On 12 Sep 1996 17:01:01 GMT, pandaris_at_jecsun.cb.att.com (Sridhar Pandari) wrote:

>I seem to be in one of those unfortunate situations where I have to move the
>ORACLE_HOME directory.
>I originally installed oracle in /usr/local/apps/oracle which is a seperate
>filesystem. Now due to some field considerations, I will have to move it to
>/opt/oracle. I am planning to just rename the file system. Does anyone see
>any problem, or had any experience in doing that.
>
>After renaming the directory. I plan to do the following:
>
>1. recreate the two instances of the databases that I have. (I will do a
> backup before renaming the directory and restore it into the new instance)

You shouldn't have to rebuild the instances. There's nothing in the control files which references $ORACLE_HOME directly. Even if there was, it would be much easier to just recreate the control files.

For example, when you upgrade from one version of Oracle to another, you just swap $ORACLE_HOME values.

>2. change entries in /etc/oratab and /etc/listener.ora files to have the new
> ORACLE_HOME.
This is good.

>3. If any application doesn't work, probably recompile them (In case they have
> any hard coding pointing to old ORACLE_HOME)

Developers who hard code locations in their programs should be shot. They are just creating a maintenance nightmare for themselves and, more importanly, you.

>Does anyone has any ideas as to what more I need to do. I am running
>oracle v7.2.3 on HP/UX 10.01.

You might want to upgrade your OS to 10.10 or higher. We just hit a NASTY bug in 10.01 which causes the superblocks in a normal filesystem to just "go away". It's happened to my server 3 times in as many days. The HP tech onsite recommended upgrading or installing ANOTHER 4 patches to 10.01.

Jim Joslin Received on Fri Sep 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message