Re: [Q] When do I need backup? Give me your worst story

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: 1996/09/13

Hi here is my worst recent story,

we use Oracle RDBMS since 6.0.
Database migrations was performed from 7.2.

I planned to rebuild my database (change of charset, defrag).

I did conversion 'training' on a small IBM RS6000 320H to check for pitfalls for our production systems (RS 6000 580H).

I did a complete database export via EXP.

I did no file-backup of Oracle-related files (because i was on a test system)

I deleted the whole Database.

I created an empty database.

I tried to import my backup.

I noticed that there where ora 901 "invalid create command" all over the place.

Restore was non-functional.

Asked Oracle-support.

They confirmed that if you hav upgraded your database from earlier versions you will get this error.

You have to modify a export-script before you do an export !!! catexp.sql,
change view exu7ind from

NVL(ind$.spare8,-1)

NVL(ind$.spare8,-0)

See doc ID: 10677121.6
Title: Export on 7.3.2 causing ora 901
Platform: Generic

Should be fixed in 7.3.3

I did not convert my produktion servers.

Kind regards,

Toni

--
A. Dischner, SGI&AIX sysadmin, Oracle DBA       | Don't let friends
Institut fuer Klinische Chemie                  | use WinDose