Re: I must be MENTALLY RETARTED. Where is 'sqlplus'? (unix)

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/09/13

In article <512cm2$ebq_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com> surman_at_dlsun338.us.oracle.com (Scott Urman) writes:
>In article <842211108snz_at_chigtow.demon.co.uk>, stephen roberts <STEVE_at_chigtow.demon.co.uk> writes:

>|> Sqlplus is a query language which contains some report formating
>|> commands. The language is used in a variaty of database tools.
>|>
>|> Tools that utilise SQL are Forms, Report Writer, and UFI (this is basically
>|> a command line interface to oracle). None of the programs associated
>|> with these tools are called sqlplus (AFAIK).
>|>
>|> I dont think you'll find an actual program program called sqlplus.
>
>SQL*Plus is an Oracle product which allows you to issue SQL commands and PL/SQL
>blocks to the database. It also has additional commands to accept input, format
>the output, handle substitution variables, etc. On Unix systems, it can be found
>along with the other Oracle executables in $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus. It is an
>option in the Oracle installer, so if you don't select it, it won't be installed.

If you don't have it, you can get a lot of SQL functionality from sqldba/line. Be sure your $ORACLE_PATH and $ORACLE_HOME are defined correctly.

>|> --
>|> steve roberts
>Scott Urman Oracle Corporation surman_at_us.oracle.com
>Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2
>Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
>"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
> Oracle Corporation"

Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>
%DCL-W-SOFTONEDGEDONTPUSH, Software On Edge - Don't Push.            \ V /
panic: ifree: freeing free inodes...                                   O