Re: I must be MENTALLY RETARTED. Where is 'sqlplus'? (unix)

From: Matthew M. Lih <matt.lih_at_trw.com>
Date: 1996/09/13

[Mr. Matzen writes:]

> [...]

[Mr. Roberts then attempts an answer:]

> >> Sqlplus is a query language which contains some report formating
> >>commands. The language is used in a variaty of database tools.

[Mr. Roberts then further compounds the inaccuracy by writing:]

> >> I dont think you'll find an actual program program called sqlplus.

[Mr. Joslin then skewers Mr. Roberts:]

> >How long have you been a DBA anyway? If you don't know, don't post.
> >It's better to give no information rather than WRONG information.

> I was under the impression that the NG was for people of all skill
> levels to ask questions and gain knowlege. If the new DBA has
> questions about anything related to Oracle then he should post as
> often as he wishes. When I first started supporting Oracle this NG was
> a lifeline that helped keep my head above water. In other words Jim if
> you want to flame go somewhere else, if you want to contribute in a
> positive way please do so.

It was clear to me in reading the thread that Mr. Joslin was "flaming" not the person who was asking the question (Mr. Matzen) but the person who was providing an incorrect answer (Mr. Roberts). Though Mr. Joslin's answer was a bit stronger than my personal wont, I do wonder how Mr. Roberts can be so far off the mark, as I cannot imagine anyone who has done anything beyond merely evaluating Oracle being ignorant of the existence or nature of SQL*Plus. The only thing I can say is that he must be ignorant of his ignorance.

Matthew M. Lih
Software Engineer, SAIN Project
TRW Enterprise Solutions Received on Fri Sep 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message