Re: Size of an ORACLE Database over 100 Gb

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/12

In article <32361EA6.49AA_at_ratp.fr>, Alain BORGO <Alain.Borgo_at_ratp.fr> wrote:
>We have a new application that use ORACLE 7. The total size of the database
>is about 250 Gb. We certainly put all the files on 60 disks of 4 Gb each
>(perhaps we will use the RAID 5 technology).

>One problem is to manage this very big database particulary we fear for the
>administration of the data. Another is the time to save these 250 Gb.
>
>We're wondering if someone had already manage such a big database or a so
>big volume of data.
>
>Anyone with some experience with that sort of problem will be welcome.

Alain

I have worked with Very Large Data Bases (VLDB) before so maybe I can help. The solution will depend on the type of data base you are building. Typically 100 GB of data is for a data warehouse. If this is the case then typically if partitioned correctly 80% of the data is historical and does not change over time. Since 80% of the data is static your backup procedures will be much easier. Also RAID 5 is best for static data. For the data that is still changing RAID 0 & 1 (striped and mirrored) is a good choice. BTW when you back up the data to tapes copy and practice recovery. In times of disaster it is always better to be familiar with what you are doing. Also tapes get shelf rot so two tapes (both in safes) are a good safty factor.

Fell free to contact me directly if you have more questions.]

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Thu Sep 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message