Re: ORACLE Database over 100 Gb

From: Eugene Freydenzon <efreydenzon_at_corpinfo.com>
Date: 1996/09/12

Alain BORGO wrote:

> We have a new application that use ORACLE 7. The total size of the
> database is about 250 Gb.
> We certainly put all the files on 60 disks of 4 Gb each (perhaps we will
> use the RAID 5 technology).
>
> The problem is to manage this very big database : particulary we fear for
> the administration of the data.
> Another diffuclty is the time to save these 250 Gb.
>
> We're wondering if someone had already manage such a big database or a so
> big volume of data.
>
> Anyone with some experience with that sort of problem will be welcome.
>
> Alain BORGO.

	This is more your budget task.
	I met some problems, similar to yours 4 years ago. Database was much
smaller size, but hardware much weaker.
	Task was to back up database in 45 minuts in industrial 7/24
environment (administrative lunchbreak for night change) as cheaper, as possible.
We desided to buy additional disks for backup, and back up (with compression) 3 disks to 1. After that, copied everything to the tape.

        In case, you need a short downtime, you can copy datafiles uncompressed (which is questionable in case of RAID). For hot backup, situation is similar. General advice - forget to backing up directly to the tape.

        If data is extremely valuable, and you afraid of disaster crush (in California - earthquakes) you need to create hot machine otside your region (standby) and copy archived logs across the T1(or watever) line to that server periodically. In case you will copy archived log immediately after creation, the possible loose will be approximately log formation time (or smaller). It is very expensive, but sometimes nessesary.

        If you performance is a very big issue and you have sufficient budget, you can consider 0+1 inspite of RAID5.

        Anyway, you need to talk to money holder, how much do you have for theese tasks.

        This is not an advice, just expirience exchange.

        Thanx for consideration,

        Eugene.

*        Everything above is only my opinion           *
* If you see a lion in a cage and sign says "elephant" *
*           DO not belive your eyes !                  *
*       (Kozma Prutkov. (informal translation))        *