Re: oracle backup

From: Brian Martin <icbkr_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/12

Charles wrote:

> can anyone share some experience in oracle backup? how frequent an
> incremental backup is needed? when to do full backup? for oracle on
> hpux, what dir/files also need to backup?

Backups are like opinions... Yours will be different from anyone else's. Here's what we do.

Daily: export our 8 GB production data at one site, which amazingly, after exporting, compresses down to a measily 90MB tar.Z file. Monthly: dbshut and do a cold full backup. Rotate everything, and store stuff offsite.

Our development boxes get fullbacked nightly, since everyone's always changing core files.

The Oracle manual, the inside of the tape case, and many other sources have extensive backup plans. The best indication of how often you need a backup is how much you regretted the last time you had to rebuild the system and how much it cost.

Hindsight is omniscient. Received on Thu Sep 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message