Re: Enterprise Manager

From: C Scott Harris <csharris_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/11

In article <51562c$l3e_at_athos.cc.bellcore.com>, Henry Nghiem <tsohxn_at_cc.bellcore.com> wrote:

>I am planning to install the Enterprise Manager on my NT box -
>plan to use it to manage my 7.1.6 Oracle on Solaris 2.4
>
>Question:
>
>- What do I need on my Solaris box ? someone was telling
> me I need an SMNP agent - where can I find this agent ?
> (is it bundled with SQLnet 2.2 or 2.3 ?) - I have sqlnet 2.1
> on my solaris box now - and do not recall the SNMP agent when
> I installed 2.1.

You don't need SNMP. Oracle provides an SNMP agent so that you can monitor your database status using SNMP based tools.

>- Will Enterprise Manager work with a 7.1.6 server ?

The release notes indicate full support for 7.3 and almost full support for 7.2. They don't even mention 7.1. Despite that, I have used most of the tools, at least superficially, against a 7.1.6 database. Maybe somebody can fill in the details.

If you do start using EM, you'll needs lots of virtual memory on your NT box. EM is broken out into 8 different management tools that cover various aspects of DB management. In almost any activity, you'll find yourself using 3-4 of these apps simultaneously. Combine that with Oracle Book and you've got a noticeable memory drain. Beyond that, everything seems stable and very useable (for a GUI ;).

Has anybody tried installing EM on 95? Received on Wed Sep 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message