Re: Is space released after deletes?

From: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com>
Date: 1996/09/11

There are some parameters on the table, I don't remember what they are called, but they control how full ORACLE will make the blocks and when it will begin to reuse empty space within a block. If you deleted all rows from the table, then all of the blocks should be empty so it should reuse the space for that table. The blocks will stay allocated to the table until you do an export/import.

Jay Walters

 Yuri Ludevig (WBRD34A_at_prodigy.com) wrote:
: I can't get a definite answer if Oracle reuses space after deletes. I ran
: analyze before and after deletes (I deleted all rows form the table) and
: statistics didn't seem to change (number of empty blocks, extents, bytes
: used, etc). Anybody out there knows for sure if you have to do
: export/import or Oracle takes care of all the holes?
: Thanks,
: Yuri in NY