Re: connect userid/password script

From: Jay Mehta <jvmehta_at_mra.ffx.mobil.com>
Date: 1996/09/10

John Verhoeven wrote:

> In article dated Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:18:51 GMT, jpjones_at_ wrote:
> > We have a script that kicks off an export that is fed a userid/password
> > combination. Executing a ps -ef on our Unix system shows the actual
> > userid/password combination the export process is using.
> >
> > How can we prevent the password from showing up along with the system
> > process information?

As pointed out by other net surfers, there are a few options when it comes to hiding passwords from the ps -ef output. We have also use ops$your_id accounts to run batch jobs and scripts. Create your_id unix account, create ops$your_id oracle account, and run sqlplus /. In this approach, you don't need Oracle password as Oracle uses unix password file to authenticate users and there is no need to hide passwords in export parameter files and sql scripts.

Jay Mehta
Oracle DBA Consultant
Mobil Oil Corp
Fairfax, VA 22037 Received on Tue Sep 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message