Re: I must be MENTALLY RETARTED. Where is 'sqlplus'? (unix)

From: D. G. Higginbotham <dhiggi_at_aristotle.net>
Date: 1996/09/09

jljoslin_at_cris.com (J L Joslin) wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Sep 96 19:31:48 GMT, stephen roberts
><STEVE_at_chigtow.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>In article <3231b4b3.261659406_at_news.dtc.net>
>> wizard_at_mrinc.com "John Matzen" writes:
>>
>>> First of all, I'm a totaly Oracle newbie.
>>>
>>> I just installed Oracle 7 for UnixWare. I did the Server install,
>>> then the client install.
>>>
>>> Nowhere can I find this 'sqlplus' program that is referenced in the
>>> George Koch and Kevin Loney book, "Oracle, The Complete Reference."
>>>
>>> I guess I'm just stupid, could somebody please give me a hint?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> John Matzen
>>>

>> Sqlplus is a query language which contains some report formating
>>commands. The language is used in a variaty of database tools.

>First of all, SQL*Plus is a terminal monitor. It submits SQL queries
>to the database server. IT IS NOT A QUERY LANGUAGE! It contains more
>than a "few" report formatting commands. Have you ever, in your life,
>even read a book on Oracle?

>>Tools that utilise SQL are Forms, Report Writer, and UFI (this is basically
>>a command line interface to oracle). None of the programs associated
>>with these tools are called sqlplus (AFAIK).

>SQL*PLUS is indeed located in $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus. It is a real
>program. You might want to explain just what UFI is. Sounds to me
>you're talking about SPUFI for DB2.

>> I dont think you'll find an actual program program called sqlplus.
>>

>How long have you been a DBA anyway? If you don't know, don't post.
>It's better to give no information rather than WRONG information.

>>--
>>steve roberts

>Jim Joslin

I was under the impression that the NG was for people of all skill levels to ask questions and gain knowlege. If the new DBA has questions about anything related to Oracle then he should post as often as he wishes. When I first started supporting Oracle this NG was a lifeline that helped keep my head above water. In other words Jim if you want to flame go somewhere else, if you want to contribute in a positive way please do so.
Donnie
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in
government." --Thomas Jefferson Received on Mon Sep 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message