Re: Oracle on NT4.0

From: Brian Michelich <brian_at_imaginet.com>
Date: 1996/09/09

Jørn Møller-Nielsen wrote:

> Forgot to tell: Oralce DO NOT support Windows NT 4.0 yet.
>
> Francois Junod wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I would like install Oracle on a WindowsNT 4.0 system.
> > Is this system supported by Oracle?
> > Any experiences with NT4.0 and Oracle7?

Technical Support Analyst                               fax (613) 9682
3081
Asia/Pacific Region
Worldwide Customer Support

--Boundary-4058903-0-0

Date: 13 Aug 96 20:50:47
From:"Robin Murgatroyd (Worldwide Support - CASE)" <RMURGATR.UK.ORACLE.COM>
To: csgcase
Subject: Designer/2000 R1.3 Support Alert - RDBMS 7.3 Support Cc: jhmurray.au,inowodwo.au

fyi...latest state of play.

Article-ID:         <Note:39470.1>
Creator:            RMURGATR
Folder:             tools.case.des2k
Topic:              Designer/2000 Support Alerts
Subject:            Designer/2000 R1.3 Support Alert - RDBMS 7.3 Support
Class:              P
Circulation:        ** Available to Customers on OCIS **
Modified:           13 Aug 96 11:43:50
Revision:           1
Position:           5
Type:               TEXT : BULLETIN
External-Key:       :BULLETIN

Reference
BUG:371896, BUG:374183 BUG:388044 BUG:390747   Other Platforms affected
Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 3.1

Introduction

Designer/2000 R1.3 was planned to support installation against an Oracle7 7.3
Server. However during extensive testing by the European Development Centre
Testing Team a problem was uncovered that has resulted in support for Oracle7
7.3 being withdrawn. Designer/2000 R1.2 or earlier DO NOT support Oracle 7.3
(See IUG System Requirements p1-3).

Symptoms

It was found that during updates on the various CI_% views* that form the meta
model of Designer/2000 from say the Designer/2000 Module Data Diagrammer or
Repository Object Navigator. That the Designer/2000 Software Reports:

ORA-1733 virtual column not allowed here

and the update does a rollback.

This problem does not occur with Oracle7 versions prior to 7.3, e.g. 7.2.

The problem is not wide spread and until now has shown only to effected UPDATES
through the view CI_MODULE_DETAIL_COLUMN_USAGES.

The problem seems to be triggered by the fact that all the Designer/2000
Repository views are created with the clause WITH CHECK OPTION. Removal of
this
clears the problem. However the WITH CHECK OPTION* is required as an integrity
check on repository data that is updated through the view using ROWID's.

  • These views are 'simple' views based on a single table (usually SDD_RELEMENTS or SDD_STRUCTURE_ELEMENTS).
  • Specifies that inserts and updates performed through the view must result in rows that the view query can select.

Avoidance Action

Designer/2000 R1.3 should not be installed upon an Oracle7 7.3 Server until
this problem is resolved. Installation on Oracle7 7.3 will render certain
parts
of the product un-operable particularly those relating to module design and
implementation. For this reason a temporary removal of support has been posted
by Oracle Worldwide Support.

  • LATEST NEWS **
BUG:388044 BUG:390747   As a workaround to this problem, Designer/2000 Development have just released
TWO patches - 388044 and 390747. The application of these two patches certifies
the customer for the use of his Designer/2000 Repository in an Oracle7 RDBMS
7.
3 server. The application of these two patches means that you DO NOT need a
port specific RDBMS patch for 7.3.2. (BUG:374183)

Patch Resolution

In summary TWO possible solutions now apply:

  1. The problem has been resolved by an Oracle7 patch available for 7.3.2.1 on a server by server port basis. The patches are being rolled out now as backport requests are received by the Server Technologies porting groups. All backports are logged against US bug 374183,

The following is the list of backport requests for this bug to be fixed in
7.3.2.1

383258:
For HP/UX 98xx series

383254:
For Intel Windows NT

382809:
For Sun Solaris V2 Sparc

384460
For Data General 88K Unix

387538
For Digital Unix

2) Apply the Designer/2000 workaround patches for US bug 388044 + 390747

Note: Patch 390747 should be applied anyway as a workaround to a Server Generator Reverse Engineer Problem in 5.5.9.0.

For additional help on this subject contact Oracle Worldwide Support CASE
Group
(UK) +44-(0) 1344-474781

Robin Murgatroyd Worldwide Support - CASE Group (UK) (x7317)

      For the very latest Support News on Designer/2000 see
     http://www-sup.uk.oracle.com/cgi-bin/on/on_og_topics?4382

             Oracle UK, The Ring, Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Phone : +44 (0) 1344-787317                  Ora*Mail :rmurgatr.uk
Fax   : +44 (0) 1344-415100                  Internet
:rmurgatr_at_uk.oracle.com
                                          UUCP
:!uk.oracle.com!rmurgatr

--Boundary-4058903-0-0-- Received on Mon Sep 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message