Re: Extracting data from Oracle 2.1

From: J L Joslin <jljoslin_at_cris.com>
Date: 1996/09/07

On Fri, 06 Sep 1996 11:00:12 -0700, Dan Dickerson <dickersn_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

>We have a large application running on Oracle 2.1 on a MAC.

Why? Oracle 2.1? You're kidding, right? If the application was truly important to your business, why didn't you follow any upgrade path? What do you consider "large"? 100M or 100G?

>We need to extract the data to some other format. We would prefer to
>export to another database application like Access, Foxpro, or Paradox,
>but can also use Excel running on a PC. If all else fails, we could
>use an ASCII format on a UNIX box. We are writing an application that
>needs this data, but can not depend upon a particular database engine
>or server.

Well, pick a database and go for it. Why can't the application "depend" on a particular database engine or server?

>We performed a complete export (using EXP) of the database on the MAC
>and have stored the export files on a Syquest cartridge that we can
>read using MacOpener on the PC.

Provided you have a tool similar to SQL*Plus, just spool the output of a select statement to a text file (with delimiters, i.e.; ","). Run the data into your new system with their import utility or roll your own.

>Does anybody have any tools that we can use to translate this data?

See above.

>There is a second VERY important reason for translating this data:
>Our version of the database is no longer supported by Oracle, and
>they do not seem to have a new version that will run on our Quadra.

So replace the Quadra.

>In addition, our install disks seem to be defective, so if this system
>goes belly up, we are really sunk. Does anybody know how to get new
>install disks?

Why not just back up your machine? You do have a current back up, don't you?

> Since Oracle will not supports us, we need to move to a
>system that will.

Oracle, I'm sure, will be happy to support you on a fairly current release of the database. If you plan to be multi-user, Oracle would seem to be the way to go.

In any case, have fun. It sounds like your in line for a lot of it. Received on Sat Sep 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message