Re: Help: SQL*NET V2 Please Help !!!!

From: Allan Hicks <ahicks_at_acsatlanta.com>
Date: 1996/09/06

I mostly work on HP-UX, but I did a HP to Windows 3.11 installation awhile back, and some of this should apply.

        If you can find NETMAN on your NT system, it will walk you through a set of forms that will eventually build your TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA and
SQLNET.ORA. Once you look at these files, you'll wonder why you needed NETMAN,
but it's a good aid the first time you have to install SQL*NET.

        If you use NETMAN, be careful. The port number that you set up in your /etc/services file must match what you tell NETMAN. The unix manual
recommends 1525 for the server and 1521 for the listner. NETMAN tries to use
1526 and 1521 as defaults.

        If you can't use NETMAN, find the SQL*NET Admin guide. It has some good information about setting up the configuration files.

        Be sure to put the .ORA files on $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and be sure the enviroment variable TNS_ADMIN contains $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.
That boo-boo cost me two days.

        Once you've got your files, start the listener with:

        lsnrctl start listener

        You can verify that the listener started by running

        lsnrctl status

        If you survive all of that, you should be able to connect by:

        sqlplus user/password_at_nodename

        The nodename is what you defined in the node field on the NETMAN page.

        I hope this helps.

-Allan Hicks Received on Fri Sep 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message