Re: Help: SQL*NET V2 Please Help !!!!

From: Roy deCarvalho <roy_at_sol.acs.unt.edu>
Date: 1996/09/05

 wrote:
> I'm trying to make a connection from a client
> running win-nt 3.51 to a win-nt 3.51 server.

> This is my current settings

> Client (nt 3.51) Server (nt 3.51)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> SQL*NET v2.1 SQL*NET v2.1
> and and
> oracle adapter oracle adapter
> TCP/IP v2.1 TCP/IP v2.1

> Is the Tnsnames.ora file created on both the client and server,
> or only on server, or only on client????

Create the TNSNAMES.ORA from your server and distribute it to your client machines. There is a sample TNSNAMES.ORA in ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN\SAMPLE directory that you can copy, edit (I used the notepad) and place your configured TNSNAMES>ORA in ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN directory.

> I'm able to ping to the server using the ip address.
> How should I define my connect string???

Here's a sample:

TEST.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = ###.###.###.###)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Port = 1526)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

TEST is your connect string, ###... is your IP address and ORCL is your SID.