Re: SMP & threads for SQL queries

From: Linas Vepstas <linas_at_fc.net>
Date: 1996/09/05

Jay Walters wrote:

> If this is a "real app" I would suggest using software you
> have to pay for (sorry Linus, FSF, GNU, ...) at least for the
> OS and RDBMS.

Jay,

You just spewed flame-bait material. Your remarks show willful ignorance and a closed mind. That said:

(1) Linux is well on the path of becoming the best UNIX out

    there, as compared to SCO, Irix, AIX, HP/UX, DEC/Unix,     Solaris. It has already overtaken more than a couple of     these in quality, robustness, ("RAS" reliability, availability,     serviviceability), quantity of device drivers available,     and other big-server, 24x7x52 uptime considerations.

    (I recently, gleefully learned that it runs on a Fujitsu     SuperSparc-based 16-way supercomputer, which, with the exception     of IBM's AIX and its RS/6000-based SP supercomputer series,     is more than most OS's can say).

(2) Although Oracle, Informix, DB2 etc. ignore linux, there are

    RDBMS packages for Linux that support transaction processing,     two-phase commit, hot online backups, power-failure,     hardware-failure checkpointing/rollforward, BLOBs, optimistic     & pessimistic versioning, replication ... (and clients for     ODBC, NT, etc.). One such is SOLID from Solid Information     Technology.

(3) The rumour on the street is that more than half of all web

    servers on the planet are linux boxes. I can't confirm the     rumour, but you might try checking with the big market research     firms. I think you can count that as a "real app".

--linas Received on Thu Sep 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message