Re: Problem: MVS/DB2 Unload data to AIX/ORACLE.

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/09/05

John Verhoeven (johnv_at_acix.DIALix.oz.au) wrote: [...]
>I can't remember the specifics, but we did this a while back. We
>downloaded the file from the mainframe as EBCDIC and used sql*loader to
>read the file as EBCDIC by choosing the right character set option.

John,

I just responded to another thread on this same topic. (Look for 'MVS' in the subject line.)

The SQL*Loader CHARACTERSET option is not a general solution to the problem of loading "foreign" data. It takes care of the character data but not the numbers (binary ints, packed decimal, and floats). If the representation of these number types differs between your two platforms (for example: "normal" versus "byte-reversed" ints), Loader will fail or produce row data other than what you expect.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.